Contributor: Kathryn Gentile, MS, CDCES, ACSM-CEP, ACSM EIM level 2, CPT, Sports Nutritionist
In partnership with
It is so easy to put ourselves on the back burner. We prioritize other people or things and forget to consider our own health and well-being. Maybe you put your time and energy into your kids or work. You do everything to ensure your job is well done, and the people around you are happy and healthy. But what about you?
It's so important to take the time to choose yourself. We all need limits on when to shut down the computer, cook a meal for ourselves, or go on a walk and take a breather. You matter! Life can be hectic, and it can be hard to put time aside to meet your needs, so here are some little changes that can make a big difference in your health and happiness:
- Take one walk a day. You can walk while you're on the phone, around your house, or outside; just give yourself at least 10 minutes.
- Schedule some quiet time. Turn your phone on Do Not Disturb at least an hour before bed.
- Keep track of your doctor's appointments. Put them in your phone calendar or on a calendar you'll see every day to ensure you don't miss any.
- Set reminders to take your medications.
- Make sleep a priority. Give yourself a bedtime and stick to it.
- Cook more. Prepare most of your meals rather than ordering out or signing up for a meal plan service.
- Limit daily screen time.
Choosing yourself and knowing when you need to say no is important. Life won't be as enjoyable if we don't take care of ourselves. Choose yourself and your needs this year for a happy and healthy 2023.
Kathryn Gentile, MS, CDCES, ACSM-CEP, ACSM EIM level 2, CPT, Sports Nutritionist, personally lives with type 1 diabetes and works at Integrated Diabetes Services as an Exercise Physiologist. There, she provides one-on-one guidance for patients looking for individualized exercise plans and diabetes education. Connect with Kathryn on Instagram at @kathryngentile, and follow Integrated Diabetes on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.