2017 Leadership Institute
Friday, October 13, 2017
Embassy Suites by Hilton Old Town Alexandria, VA
Active PODS Meetup Leaders are invited to submit applications to attend the 2017 DiabetesSisters Leadership Institute. The Institute will provide PODS Leaders opportunities to develop and enhance skills in facilitating conversations among women living with all types of diabetes and prediabetes; create open, welcoming atmospheres that encourage honest discussions; brainstorm ways to promote, recruit, maintain, and grow PODS Meetups; and listen to and share with PODS Leaders from around the nation.
The Leadership Institute will be held on Friday, October 13, in conjunction with the DiabetesSisters Weekend for Women conference and Diabetes Unconference that will take place Saturday October 14 and Sunday October 15, also at the Embassy Suites.
Leadership Institute participants will be selected based on (1) demonstrated leadership in DiabetesSisters and PODS Meetups; (2) record of dependability and teamwork; (3) demonstrated commitment to and passion for diverse, inclusive, respectful, supportive groups; and (4) locations of PODS Meetups.
Date: Friday, October 13, 2017
Location: Embassy Suites by Hilton Old Town Alexandria, 1900 Diagonal Road, Alexandria VA 22314
Included with Leadership Institute Registration
- Leadership Institute sessions on October 13
- Weekend for Women sessions on October 14-15
- All training materials and activities
- Double occupancy (2 PODS Leaders per room) hotel reservation for 3 nights (October 12, 13, and 14) at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Old Town Alexandria
- Complimentary breakfast served at Embassy Suites each day
- Friday night special event with appetizers and beverages
- Saturday lunch at the Weekend for Women conference
- Saturday evening reception with appetizers and beverages
Participants are responsible for:
- Registration fee of $75
- Round-trip transportation (airfare, train/bus, car fare) to Embassy Suites by Hilton Old Town Alexandria
- Any additional room charges (room service, movies, etc.); or additional nights at the hotel
- Single occupancy hotel room - Any PODS Leader who wishes to have a single room must notify firstname.lastname@example.org that they waive the double occupancy reservation included with registration, and is responsible for their own single occupancy hotel reservation.
The Embassy Suites is located across the street from a DC Metro station, enabling use of public transportation to and from airports in the DC area. Shuttle or shared ride service and taxis also provide service from any of the DC area airports to the hotel, at a higher cost.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Training & discussion regarding PODS Leader responsibilities and best practices
- Presentations, facilitated discussion in large and small groups, and work in pairs
- Spend time, learn from, and share with sister PODS Leaders from across the country
- New resources, information, and ideas to bring back to PODS Meetups
- Complete PODS Leader orientation, volunteer agreement, & nondisclose/noncompete forms on or before March 1, 2017
- Lead and submit monthly reports/sign-in sheets for at least 3 PODS Meetups by June 1, 2017
- Register for and attend the entire Leadership Institute, as well as the Weekend for Women/Diabetes Unconference sessions
- PODS Leaders must wait to register for both Leadership Institute AND the Weekend for Women/Diabetes Unconference until they receive their invitation containing their registration code.
- PODS Leaders must register for the Institute by March 8, or they will forfeit their invitation and another Leader will be invited to attend in their place.
- Application process open: Thursday, February 2
- Application deadline: Monday, February 13
- Invitations/registration code sent by: Wednesday, March 1
- Registration required by: Wednesday, March 8
Thank you to our sponsors for the 2017 DiabetesSisters Leadership Institute: