October 21, 22, 23, 2022
to our 8th annual Leadership Institute!
Join DiabetesSisters PODS Leaders, staff, and expert speakers as we:
Listen to women living with all types of diabetes and prediabetes
Create open, welcoming atmospheres that encourage honest discussions
Learn more about important diabetes-related topics
Develop and enhance facilitation skills
Share stories of leadership challenges and successes
PODS Leaders: Volunteers leading DS peer support groups
Honored guests from DiabetesSisters #TruthOverStigma campaign
Honored guests from the College Diabetes Network
Intensive learning & leadership experience
Friday, October 21 - 6-9pm Central
Saturday, October 22 - 8am-5pm Central
Sunday, October 23 – 8am-1pm Central
The Rose Hotel, Chicago, IL
Location - Hotel arrangements made by DiabetesSisters
The Rose Hotel Chicago O’Hare - 5200 Pearl St, Rosemont, IL 60018
The Rose Hotel is within walking distance to most Rosemont attractions, but if available, the local shuttle runs within a 3-mile radius to local businesses and attractions.
- 5 minutes to O’Hare Airport with complimentary airport shuttle
- Metra Train station within walking distance
- CTA Blue Line within 5 driving minutes
- Complimentary shuttle to local area within 3 miles of the hotel
Included with Registration:
- Leadership Institute sessions and materials
- Single room hotel reservation at The Rose Hotel Chicago O’Hare on October 21 and 22 (hotel arrangements made by DiabetesSisters)
- Up to $400 reimbursed for round-trip transportation (airfare, train/bus, car fare) to The Rose Hotel Chicago O’Hare
- Meet & Mingle event on Friday, October 21 (heavy appetizers and nonalcoholic beverages)
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and coffee/beverages served at The Rose Hotel on October 22 and 23
Participants are responsible for:
- $20 registration fee. If the fee is a financial burden blocking your ability to register, please contact Sarah Mart to discuss.
- Dinner on Saturday night (October 22)
- Any hotel nights in addition to Friday, October 21 and Saturday, October 22
- Any additional room charges such as room service, movies, etc.
BY AUGUST 20: Submit form below to receive invitation email with registration link; then use link to register for the Leadership Institute
BY AUGUST 20: (PODS Leaders) Submit volunteer agreement, nondisclose/noncompete and media release forms.
OCTOBER 21, 22, 23: Attend all Leadership Institute sessions and activities
OCTOBER 21-23: (PODS Leaders who have previously attended Leadership Institute) Provide leadership during the Institute with responsibilities assigned by DS staff.
BY NOVEMBER 1: Contribute a video of 2 minutes maximum OR blog post of 400 words maximum, describing attendee highlights and what was valuable about the Institute.
BY NOVEMBER 1: Submit receipts for allowed transportation expenses. Reimbursements of amounts up to, and not exceeding, the $400 travel stipend amount will be mailed during the first week of November 2022.
Friday, October 21
- Check in/registration
- Meet & Mingle
- Welcome & Opening Remarks – Anna Norton, DiabetesSisters CEO & Deb Greenwood PhD, DiabetesSisters Board Chair
- Introductions to DiabetesSisters & Peer Support - Sarah Mart, DiabetesSisters Director of Operations & Participants
Saturday, October 22
- Cardiac Yoga – WomenHeart
- Session 1: Bridging Boundaries: Advocating for All Types - Heather Walker, PhD, University of Utah, DiabetesSisters Vice Chair
- Session 2: dStigmatizing Diabetes - Matthew Garza, diaTribe
- Session 3: Carbs & Cultures - Lorena Drago, MS, RDN, CDN, CDES
- Session 4: Exercise for Everyone - Kathryn Gentile, ACSM-CEP, ACSM EIM L2, CPT, DCES, Integrated Diabetes Services, PODS Leader
- Session 5: Self-Compassion & Diabetes - Harpreet Narga, PhD, Diabetes Redefined
- Session 6: #TruthOverStigma panel - Panelists include Liz Cambron, PhD (@drlizcambron) & Kylene Redmond (@blackdiabeticgirl)
- Session 7: Reflections/Connections – DS Staff
- Affinity Group Mtgs: Automated Insulin Delivery Systems; College Diabetes Network; Moms; Type-Specific; Women of Color
Sunday, October 23
- Cardiac Yoga – WomenHeart
- Session 8: Mandalas for Leadership – Susan Paul Johnson, PhD
- Session 9: Leader Successes & Challenges - Panel, group discussions
- Session 10: Reflections/Connections – DS Staff
*Agenda subject to change(s)
Please complete part 1 of the registration process below: