Diagnosed October 2012 at age 26

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with diabetes in October 2012 with type II diabetes, years of not taking care of myself finally caught up with me. I had recently lost about 15lbs before the diagnosis but too little too late. Finding out was devastating, my biggest fear had become my reality. I had family members and family friends with diabetes and all of them were on insulin and just lived with diabetes. I did not know that diabetes could be controlled without insulin and imagine my surprise to find out that it can be reversed. Reversing diabetes has become one of my missions, this has been an interesting 4 months because my everything changed. I didn't just have to change the way I eat or just start exercising, I had to change the way I deal with stress, anger, surprise, everything changed. Although this is very early in my journey, I have experienced great victories, I have lost 35lbs since October and I feel amazing, I am taking metformin so that has helped my PCOS as well. I have regular periods and I ovulate so one day when I am ready for children, I have hope now. I have a long way to go but I am determined and I refuse to give up!
Posted about 6 years ago
A diabetes diagnosis is never fun, but now you know, and are working for the betterment of your health, which is a great step!! Are there any PODS near you that you can attend? I have found those are one of the best ways I can connect and meet other DiabetesSisters who have been in my similar situation, and can help with understanding and even tools to help me. We are also having the Diabetes Awareness walk - http://diabetessisters.kintera.org/2013raleighwalk and Weekend for Women conference over May 3-5 in Raleigh, which is always a wealth of information and support! Welcome to the sisterhood, and we'll be happy to help however we can!
Best Regards,
Rhonda
Posted about 6 years ago