Choosing diabetes technology may feel daunting, confusing and overwhleming. And while glucose meters, smart insulin pens, continuous glucose monitors (CGMs), insulin pumps, and various diabetes apps can help reduce your day-to-day management burden, picking from the many options can be a tall order.
To start, consider having a discussion with your healthcare team first, as they may offer guidance. It is also essential to check insurance coverage and deductibles for various technologies to verify which options are covered by your plan and the co-pay costs of each choice.
Once you've spoken to your HCPs and know which technologies are covered by your insurance, these online resources can help make your decision less daunting:
- DiabetesWise shares information about CGM sensors, insulin pumps, and meters. Take their quiz to help decide which devices might work best for you, then head to the resources section for guides on how to get the device you've picked.
- The American Diabetes Association has compiled a list of things to consider when choosing your meter, CGM, or pump.
- Inquire about trialing a diabetes technology such as:
- Ordering a sample Pod from Insulet.
- Utilizing Tandem Diabetes Care's 30-day return policy.
- Utilizing Medtronic's 30-day trial of the Guardian Connect CGM.
- Asking your heathcare team if they can provide a device to try out.